Wednesday, August 13, 2008

When is a fever too high???

If you've ever had a sick baby, you've probably asked yourself this question. It's the weekend and your pediatrician is closed and your baby is running what you consider to be a high fever...do you take them to the emergency room or treat it with Tylenol and manage it till Monday morning? Apparently, that is a question that nurses and doctors will not answer no matter how many times you ask it. Well, when Prestley's fever reached 106 on Sunday morning...all bets were off. We weren't waiting a second longer, we thankfully came across a pediatric after hours clinic to take her to instead of the emergency room. They ran a battery of tests and basically tortured the poor girl and so far we still don't know what caused her to get so sick. She was fine when she woke up Saturday morning, we put her down for a nap and when she woke up, she was running a fever of 103. We thought maybe she was just warm from being wrapped up in the blanket so we gave her a little bit of Tylenol and waited. Well, the only thing that happened was her fever kept going up and she just kept getting sicker. After 2 trips to the doctor, a blood and urine test, and 4 shots...she seems to finally be getting better! THE CAUSE-unknown! Poor baby girl.




4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Poor baby girl!!! You can see those "sick eyes" even in the picture, drained of all energy. By the way, Allison got me started on blogging, she bugged me til I caved in and I actually like it.
Hope Pres is back to her old self soon!!!!

We Three Smiths + 1 said...

Isn't it scary??? I went through the same question/answer deal with Ryder this weekend. I have a friend with 3 kids who told me better to pay your co-pay and have them tell you that you're overreacting than to chance something happening! I am glad she is feeling better!!

Jamie, Diana, J'Lee, Jaxon, and Jett said...

Poor baby. I am so sorry to hear that Prestley was not feeling well. But even sick she still looks beautiful. Isn't that the scariest feeling. You just feel so helpless. Jamie thinks that I over react sometimes cause I always say "dont you think we need to call the doctor". I hope that she is feeling better

Misty Rice said...

Awww poor little sweetheart. I know that is such a frustrating time, not knowing what to do after hours or when i fever hits like that. So scary. I wonder what caused it. Morgan has her first little cold, and her little nose is running not stop. Miss you guys, I get back from AZ tonight.